Since last week’s scripted mock trial was such a success, the students and I looked at the themes that present themselves within the novels Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry and To Kill a Mockingbird. We then took those themes and created new scenarios to put on trial based upon the themes. In actuality, the students created the scenarios and I merely streamlined and organized their ideas in such a manner that would be easy to create a mock trial from it. Before the trials began, I took a moment to review the trial procedures as well as the allowable objections. The students took notes on whichever portions related to their role within the trial.
The trial scenarios can be found here: Mock Trial Case Scenarios
Then, the trial began. If only I had the capability to include video in this blog post…it would have certainly been “Must See TV.”
At the end of class, we had to have a recess and will pick up the trial tomorrow.
- Finish the “Family Tree” assignment.
- Create a family tree of the Finch family (including Calpurnia).
- In a bubble to the side of each character noting their personal strengths and their weaknesses as perceived by the Maycomb community.
- Create a family tree of the Logan family.
- Alongside each character, create a bubble illustrating examples of how each character fights his or her community’s injustices in his or her own way.
- Read for 30 minutes:
- TKAM: through chapter 29
- ROTHMC: through chapter 12