Monday was the first of two days where the students were in centers to practice their writing skills. There were a total of six stations to which the students had the opportunity to visit. These stations included focuses on:
Center #1: Organization
1. Read the articles on the pay of female tennis players.
2. Next, compare and contrast the two articles.
3. Then, identify the problem in the article and suggest a solution.
o Write at least 2 sentences explaining why that would be a good solution.
4. Guess what might be the cause for the inequality in pay.
o Then, write what the effect has been in at least one sentence.
Center #2: Ideas
1. Think of 5 topics and write them down on your own sheet of paper.
2. Then pass your topics to the person on your right.
3. Brainstorm at least 5 points for each topic. (Use a bubble map or a bullet point list)
4. Turn to your elbow partner and share the two topic brainstorming bubble maps (or bullet pointed lists). KEEP YOUR VOLUME LOW.
Center #3: Style
1. Read the article “Text Talk” on Reality Central page 49.
2. Find the paragraph you think is the strongest. Write down:
o What page it is on,
o What number paragraph it is from the top of the page,
o And explain why you think it is the strongest.
3. Next, Choose one of the paragraphs to rewrite with more style.
4. Make the vocabulary stronger, add DRAPES, and overall make it more interesting to read.
PowerPoint: Writing Centers Dec. 3, 2012
HOMEWORK: Complete any missing assignments (due Friday) and read for 30 minutes.